4th Foundation Day of Pratidhwani WB
Date: 15th May, Wednesday, 2019
Place: Henrique Hall,Seva Kendra, Sealdah
Time: 10:30 AM to 4:00 PM
District Name of Parents Group/ NGO
- North 24 Parganas: Angikar, Charaibethi
- South 24 Parganas: Egiye Cholo, Sevakunja, Samadhan,
- Nadia: Sannidhyo,
- Bankura: Uttaran,
- Hooghly: Udayanan, Makhla Muktadhara
- Kolkata:, KSEDA, HDWA, AWWD, NIOH and West Bengal Foundation of Deaf Women, Anwesha Kolkata
“4th FOUNDATION DAY” was celebrated by Pratidhwani WB - a state-level federation of parents groups of children and persons with deafness across West Bengal on 15th May, Wednesday, 2019 at Seva Kendra Sealdah, Kolkata. Around 70 persons including the guests and members from fourteen groups participated in the programme.
The participants gathered in the premise at 10.30 a.m. Post completion of registration and tea, we moved to Henrique hall to be part of the inaugural session. Ms. Soma Ghosh, Secretary, Anwesha Kolkata delivered the welcome speech. She requested the following eminent guests to come on the stage and take their seats. The guests were
· Mr. S S Vinayak, former Asst. Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities, Govt. of WB
· Ms.Kuhu Das, Eminent social worker & Activist
· Mr. Tushar Jana, President, Pratidhwani WB
Mr. S S Vinayak, Ms. Das, Mr. Jana, a parent, young deaf child and adult inaugurated the programme by lighting floated candles in a pot filled with water and flower petals followed by inaugural song. Ms. Ghosh called upon Ms. Ankita Dewanji, Asst. Secretary Pratidhwani WB on stage to share the activities of Pratidhwani WB during 2018-2019.
After her presentation, Ms. Ghosh requested Mr. S S Vinayak to explain the concept of Unique Disability ID (UDID) card and its application procedure.
He highlighted the following things during his speech:
Objective of UDID: Unique Disability ID for Persons with Disabilities” project is being implemented with a view of creating a National Database for PwDs, and to issue a Unique Disability Identity Card to each person with disabilities.
Benefits of UDID Card:
- Persons with disabilities will not need to make multiple copies of documents, maintain and carry multiple documents as the card will capture all the necessary details which can be decoded with the help of a reader,
- The UDID card will be the single document of identification, verification of the disabled for availing various benefits in the future,
- The UDID Card will also help in streamlining the tracking of the physical and financial progress of beneficiary at all levels of the hierarchy of implementation – from village level, block level, District level, State level and National level
- Disability certificate issued by concerned medical authority
- Photo identity/Address proof ( Voter ID, Aadhaar Card etc)
- Recent Passport Size photograph
- Digital signature
There was a short break for the lunch at 1.00 p.m. for half an hour after which the session resumed. Mr. Vinayak was felicitated by a young deaf adult.
Mr. Tapas Paul from the Indian Mountaineering Foundation (IMF) was invited to highlight the importance of nature study cum adventure trip and to share some of his experiences as a Mountaineer. A team of four members from IMF joined the program.
He started with his experience of working with our young adults in the camp that was organized by Pratidhwani WB and IMF in February. He expressed his happiness at the discipline and gentle behavior of young adults. He also highlighted that this is an area for adventure where young adults with deafness can excel and be highly successful. He also shared that this sphere teaches patience, team spirit, hard work, coping mechanism and many other qualities which makes a person distinguished.
He thereafter screened few award-winning adventure-based movies including one with a person with locomotor disability.
Ms. Soma Ghosh, moderator of the programme invited Ms. Kaushani Ghatak, Ms. Sweta Mondal, Ms. Sneha Choudhury to share their recent experiences in Nature Study cum Adventure trip at Samsing North Bengal organized by IMF in collaboration with Pratidhwani WB in February 2019. The three young ladies enthusiastically shared their experiences and happiness of having been able to join the camp. Their enthusiasm and eagerness impressed everyone present in the event and the young adults who never attended a camp were eager to join the future camp.
After this session, Ms. Payel Samanta -a deaf young adult from Tarakeswar was requested to come up op on the stage to share her inspirational story. She has completed graduation in Sanskrit and wishes to study further and complete her Master’s Degree.
Members of MMRCD shared the success story of deaf youth. They came across a boy who did not use to go to school or know sign language. They helped him learn to communicate through sign language, gave him need-based educational support. He now earns his livelihood through an economic engagement and is part of the mime team of the organization. He is very happy.
Ms. Laxmi Kayal and Ms. Nibedita Mondal facilitated the programme by signing in order to make the programme accessible for deaf participants who used sign language.
Mr. Tushar Jana, President Pratidhwani WB gave a vote of thanks. Without the support and active involvement from the parents' groups, Mr. SS Vinayak and members of IMF the program could not be so successful and memorable for Pratidhwani WB.